Planning and Research
The Emirates Planning and Research department has a central role in devising the Emirates Airline strategy influenced by the Emirates Group corporate purpose. The department consists of two units: Planning and Market Research.
A brief summary of each unit’s activities is provided below.
Work done by the Planning unit provides a platform for strategic corporate decisions with regards to serving new markets, future investments in aircraft purchases, product enhancement and airport facilities. The unit is responsible for the following activities:
• Identification of fleet requirements in terms of the number and type of aircraft
• Development of Emirates’ long-term plans to ensure continuous growth and profitability
• Production of feasibility studies for new routes and changes to the existing network
• Design Emirates’ long and short-term Operating Plans through effective deployment of its growing fleet
• The evaluation of potential new aircraft types for the Emirates’ fleet and the cost-benefit analysis of aircraft interior configurations
• Seizing short-term opportunities by tactically optimising network capacity though aircraft re-assignments
• Managing the airline’s growing business of unscheduled and charter flights
• Effectively distributing Emirates’ flight schedules via industry publications in print and electronic versions
The Market Research unit provides Emirates Group with its own in-house research capabilities. The unit functions in a consultancy capacity by providing research expertise in helping develop research plans for Emirates Group departments, costing research projects, managing research projects in-house as well as through external research agencies. The aim of the unit is to explore opinions and attitudes of customer and other stakeholders as a result of which the senior management are able to make informed decisions to meet customer and business needs.